Corporate travel safety
Duty of care for corporate travel
Uncertainty is the only certainty when it comes to travel. Companies have an enormous responsibility to keep their employees safe from hazards, attacks and disasters. Are you doing enough?
Five reasons you should care about duty of care
- Employers are legally required to provide a standard of reasonable care for their employees
- Travelers who feel looked after are happier and more productive
- Nearly all travelers are faced with difficulties or disruptions at some point
- 80% of travel buyers consider duty of care their No. 1 priority
- Your company’s reputation and bottom line are at stake
Duty of care and travel risk management
Duty of care is the legal obligation to take care of traveling employees, while travel risk management is a proactive approach to reducing risks for travelers and keeping them safe. A successful travel risk management strategy has three main pillars:
- Assess risks: Determine the level and type of risk before the trip
- Prepare and prevent: Help travelers make good decisions before and during the trip
- Communicate and evaluate: Demonstrate your commitment to employee well-being
Read more about the essentials of travel risk management. Get instant access to our Inform reports.
Why companies are struggling
It’s a challenge to set up a travel risk management program. The responsibilities span departments – travel, human resources, security and more – and it’s not clear who’s in charge. The problem extends beyond decision-making. All of these departments capture information, so data is siloed and fragmented. And senior management and travelers aren’t fully engaged in making trips safer.
How BCD Travel can help you
A partner like BCD Travel can help your company meet duty of care requirements with experienced advice and simple and innovative solutions.
- Industry leading real-time data about your travelers in DecisionSource®
- Security reports with the push of a button
- Interactive world maps to visualize traveler locations
- 24/7 worldwide emergency service
- Automated and relevant incident updates
- Traveler alerts and messages via TripSource®
- “I’m safe” traveler responses via TripSource
What is duty of care?
Duty of care is the responsibility or the legal obligation of a an organization to look after the health, safety and security of their employees while they’re travelling for business. Companies must take every precaution against injury or harm.