Businesses have a role to play in improving the communities in which we live and work. That’s why our corporate mission revolves around helping people and companies. It’s why sustainability lies at the core of everything we do.
and Chief Executive Officer
Executive Vice President of Global Program Management and Executive Chair of Sustainability
Our mission is to help people and companies travel smart and achieve more.
Our vision is to be the world’s most trusted and innovative travel management company.
As we grow, we have an obligation to ourselves, our clients and our communities to do so sustainably. Sustainability means that we ethically manage our environmental, social and financial responsibilities to ensure our ongoing business success—without limiting options for future generations. As our strategic direction moves us into that future, sustainability is at the core of everything we do.
UN Global Compact communication on progress
BCD Travel has been a signatory to the UN Global Compact since 2008, and continues to support the 10 principles on human rights, labor standards, the environment and anti-corruption across our sphere of influence.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
BCD Travel has been fully supporting this shared plan of action for people, planet and prosperity for two years. Through our strategic directions and business activities, BCD Travel contributes directly and indirectly to the achievement of the SDGs.
Governance & stakeholder engagement
From the Executive level over functional teams to the global sustainability team including country coordinators and many others relevant to our sustainability practice – all help ensure the success of the program.
Sustainability focus areas
Governance, Ethics & Compliance
Strong governance within BCD Travel provides the foundation for building a culture of ethical behavior and minimizing business risk. By acting with integrity, we gain the trust of our customers, business partners and other stakeholders and create a positive impact on society.
Our company’s future depends on the quality, performance and commitment of our workforce. A talented, healthy and engaged
employee population drives performance and powers innovation, making it imperative that we continue to attract, develop, motivate and retain talented employees.
By building mutually rewarding partnerships with our supply chain, we contribute to our own business sustainability and that of the people and planet.
Customers judge their experience with BCD Travel in terms of cost, quality and service reliability. They also measure value by how closely our innovative solutions anticipate their business travel requirements.
Charity & Community Support
Company charitable initiatives like the Haiti Project and individual good works by BCD employees around the world express our passion for helping others far beyond collecting money. With almost 13,800 people in 109 countries, we can make a significant impact in our communities.
What’s in it for you?
- Transparency & minimizing risk: Annual assessments of our sustainable business practices by EcoVadis, an independent assessor of corporate sustainability programs, increases transparency and reduces risk in your supply chain. Their evaluation and measurements are understood and respected by businesses worldwide.In 2018 we’ve earned the top rating for the third consecutive year and stay in the top one percent of all suppliers
assessed. As a member of the EcoVadis platform you can request access to our scorecard.
- Validated best practices: ISO certifications, Payment Card Industry Data Protection Standard (PCI)) and other accreditations validate, we apply best practices in our business practices and comply with industry regulations and legal obligations. Plus, it helps limit fraud. We’ve been certified to global standards for our health and safety standards, data quality processes, information security practices, and our approach to environmental management. You may find a list of our certifications here.
- Eliminated legal exposure: Business travel today is highly competitive, constantly being disrupted by new technologies and increasingly reaching into emerging markets around the globe. All these factors can fuel unethical business practices, brand and legal exposure. Our Code of Conduct and Noncompliance Reporting policy ensure ethical business practices beyond companies’ and industries’ boundaries. Here’s a list all of publicly available policies, principles and other documentation
- Code of Conduct
- Supplier Code
- Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) policy
- Sustainability principles
- Annual sustainability report
- Annual EcoVadis sustainability performance rating certificates
- Secure flow of data: It’s vital to safeguard data. A breach can affect millions of people, threaten business relationships and even test the viability of a whole corporation. ISO 9001 and other accreditations that certify a secure flow of data support our positions as a reliable business partner.
- Better work-life balance for travelers: TripSource® helps travelers reduce stress, travel safely and achieve better work-life balance.
- Making a Difference: We want to create an environment that encourages and enables our people to develop to their fullest potential. And we turn the same energy and values toward making a difference in the lives of our customers and the communities where we live and work.
- Access to the Sustainability Self-Assessment Tool (SSAT): As a corporate travel buyer you have access to the SSAT sponsored by BCD Travel. It’s a tool designed to give your organization an overall understanding of where you stand in terms of sustainability initiatives within your travel program. Plus, it provides recommendations how to take it to the next level.
Results at a glance
Business Governance, Ethics & Compliance
- 66% of our operations are ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certified covering 79% of employees worldwide.
- Seven global groups policies were reviewed and communicated to all employees.
- Improved our EcoVadis Gold score by 3%.
- Assessed 28% of suppliers/partners.
- Completed development of an environment, health & safety training course.
IT Governance &
- 90% of all staff have completed training on GDPR.
- Reached 81.9% of activated online learning users at manager level and above.
- The participation rate of Managers and Senior Managers in the Challenge program increased by 65%.
Health and safety
- 66% of our operations are OHSAS 18001 certified covering 79% of employees worldwide.
- Rolled out two new human rights policies in 100% of our global operations.
- Participated in a number of fora to encourage the advancement of women in travel. Educated our staff and some of our clients on our partnership with ECPAT and how we must all play our part.
- Reduced carbon emissions by 2.25% compared to 2017.
- Achieved ISO 14001 data center re-certification in December 2018.
ISO 14001 certification
- 66% of our operations are now ISO 14001 certified covering 79% of employees worldwide.
- Global environment, health & safety training course developed.
- Support of the UNEP’s World Environment Day theme “Beat Plastic Pollution: If you can’t reuse it, refuse it.”
- Reduced single-use plastics by 37% across all locations.
- Assessed 28% of our largest suppliers based on annual spend.
- 88% of global suppliers and partners have signed our Supplier Code of Conduct.
- All procurement staff were trained on the new global procurement policy.
Data protection in the supply chain
- Audits carried out on 124 strategic and key technology partners.
- Updated privacy- and security related requirements in supplier contracts and global sourcing policies.
Products and services
- Combined Total Collaboration Management programs with clients through traveler engagement contracts. Continued to educate clients’ travelers on the
benefits of travel alternatives.
- Improved messaging and alert capabilities in the TripSource mobile app using data provided through DecisionSource®.
Fast, high-quality data
- Transitioned to ISO 9001:2015 quality accreditation for Global Data Quality Services, including collection, conversion, cleansing, validation, quality control and development & support.
- 181,536 completed our traveler satisfaction survey. We followed up with dissatisfied travelers to understand and remedy any reported problems.