Sustainability is part of our DNA
Sustainability is embedded in our official vision statement. BCD is focused on influencing change that leads to increased positive social impact and reduced environmental impact. We built a new Sustainability Framework this year to simplify how we think about challenges and identify opportunities to effect change.
“As the urgency of the climate crisis increases, and the impacts on people and nature become starker, now is the time to take our sustainability commitments and actions to the next level,” said Olivia Ruggles-Brise, vice president of sustainability at BCD.
Our framework is rooted in four core principles to guide our priorities and drive us to that next level:
- Beyond carbon – we use a broad definition of sustainability that encompasses wellness; diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI); nature and social impact; climate action and more
- Mindful travel – we aim to build a movement for sustainable travel that empowers and engages travelers to embrace sustainability on the road and at home
- Industry advocacy – we lead, push for and support solutions that are widely adopted
- High standards – we continue to seek external validation and certification of our robust products and processes and ensure that we partner with the most credible organizations that support our vision
You can learn more about the framework and our current initiatives in our 2023 Sustainability Report.
BCD supports global sustainability organizations and initiatives
- We’re the first TMC to become a member of and advisor to the Sustainable Aviation Buyers Alliance (SABA).
- BCD is an allied member of the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA). We work closely with GBTA associations in both the U.S. and Europe, with representatives on committees for sustainability, risk, DE&I and WINit by GBTA.
- Global Sustainability Tourism Council, the organization establishing and managing global standards for sustainable travel and tourism, known as the GSTC Criteria.
- ECPAT and A21, are our close partners. We work together with them to raise awareness and education that aims to help end human trafficking, modern slavery and the sexual exploitation of children.
- BCD is a member of the BT4Europe Sustainability Workstream to support and lobby for sustainable business travel within Europe.
It’s working, it’s really working
We don’t do this for accolades, but our achievements and awards are indicators that we’re on the right path:
- Across our wholly owned markets, we’ve reduced our direct carbon footprint by 72% since 2016.
- BCD is the winner of the inaugural BTN Business Travel Sustainability Americas Award – Achievement in Sustainability – Travel Management Company category.
- We’re in the top 1% of companies recognized by EcoVadis for our sustainability management system.
- We maintain global ISO 14001/45001 certification.
Get informed and take action to support sustainability
We invite you to download our 2023 Sustainability Report for more information on our activities, achievements, and progress. We hope you’re inspired to join us on the journey to a sustainable future for our industry, people and planet.
Listen up: Sustainability is more than just being green
In this episode of Connections with BCD Travel, Olivia Ruggles-Brise, VP of Sustainability, explains how sustainability is more than just carbon, emissions and reducing plastics. She discusses the work we’re doing to identify and mitigate risks related to managed travel programs and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) concerns. Learn how sustainability connects to wellness, savings, community engagement, and other areas of our industry.