- Provide guidance on selecting and using virtual collaboration tools. Encourage employees to replace travel with virtual alternatives where it makes business sense; provide guidelines on how to create engaging virtual meeting experiences.
- Limit trips to essential travel or combine multiple trips into one. Fewer trips equal less carbon emissions and increased productivity.
- Include a stay or go decision tree in the travel policy. This framework easily signals to travelers what is and isn’t allowed, while keeping them involved in decision making. Communicate with relatable numbers, like, “If we reduce travel by X%, we could save $$$, X in carbon emissions and X time spent on the road.”
- Focus on employee wellbeing. Make traveler experiences better by prioritizing their wellness and best interests.
- Influence travelers to make lower carbon emission choices. Integrating sustainability messaging into your employee engagement strategy is the best way to give them the information they need at the right time in the decisions making process. Consider creating assets to communicate messaging like, “When possible, utilize public transport or rent electrical vehicles.”