A message from John Snyder, President and CEO, and Kathy Jackson, Executive Vice President, Global Program Management & Advito.
Our collective mission is clear: As individuals and organizations, we all share the responsibility of good stewardship rooted in sustainability to maintain a vibrant world. We’re pleased to present our 2018 Sustainability Report in support of the 10 principles UN Global Compact. In this report, we also share all the ways BCD Travel has been working to advance the UN Sustainable Development Goals. We take our charge seriously and are fully committed to supporting global efforts to protect our planet and fight against poverty, inequality and injustice everywhere and in all forms. We are equally serious bout our obligation to our employees, our clients and our communities.
Our deep commitment is rooted in our company’s strategic direction, which guides our growth and tells us where we need to focus to achieve our vision. Sustainability lies at the core of everything we do and touches all four focus areas of our strategic direction: Human and Social Value, Engaged Travelers, Intelligent Programs and Built for Change. In 2017 we adopted new language to more accurately describe our commitment. Instead of referring to “corporate social responsibility,” we now describe our efforts around “sustainability.” It’s a commitment to achieving a better workplace, world and business. Our annual sustainability report has been constructed in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), an international independent organization that helps businesses, governments and other organizations to consider their impacts on a wide range of sustainability issues, enabling them to be more transparent about the risks and opportunities they face.
The GRI sustainability reporting standards have helped us set goals, measure our performance, and manage change to make our business activities more sustainable. Our 2018 Sustainability Report summarizes all activities, procedures and achievements for the calendar year 2017 applicable to BCD Travel’s wholly owned countries.
Here are some of our highlights:
- BCD Travel maintained the EcoVadis gold ranking that placed us in the top 1% of all suppliers for sustainability and improved upon its previous year’s score by 15%. We are the only travel management company to achieve the top rating for two consecutive years.
- Shift to sustainability: It’s more comprehensive and more ambitious than corporate social responsibility. It better aligns with the true scope of our focus—and the impact of our accomplishments—on employees, clients and communities.
- Governance & business ethics: We refreshed our Code of Conduct and Noncompliance Reporting policy to reflect recent changes and made them available to all employees.
- Environment, health & safety: The health and safety of our employees and environmental stewardship remain a top priority. We increased the percentage of ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 accredited locations around the world to 58%. Our U.S. data center additionally became ISO 14001 accredited.
- Supplier sustainability: We’ve extended our supplier sustainability program by conducting supplier assessments to ensure that suppliers’ social, ethical and environmental initiatives align with our sustainability objectives. The assessments also help us anticipate risks and areas of improvements within our supply chain.
- Service performance: BCD Travel’s TripSource® received the global Web Marketing Association’s 2017 Outstanding Mobile App Award. The association said its communications, booking and self-service features take the hassle out of business travel, making the app a true benefit for traveler well-being.
- Global energy saving program: We reduced our carbon footprint by 6.8% across BCD Travel wholly owned locations.
- Workplace practices: Investors in People, a globally recognized workplace ratings firm, awarded BCD Travel an accreditation in people management, positioning
us as one of the top companies to work for in the corporate travel industry. This accreditation validates the strengths of our workplace and the effort we have put into improving it.
- Quality management: We extended BCD Travel’s ISO 9001 certification to include the Enterprise Development Information Intelligence & Support business unit. Our core data processing activities are certified and meet best practice quality standards for corporate data cleansing, accuracy processes and data center services.
Creating “the world we want” begins with individuals. So, we continue to encourage our employees’ efforts to improve their local communities through social investment and charitable activities.
Our passion for creating the world we want is reflected in our global partnership with ECPAT, the leading organization seeking to end the commercial sexual exploitation of children. It’s also reflected in the work of The John & Marine van Vlissingen BCD Family Foundation and our local charity projects. These entities helped raise and distribute funds in 2017 across the globe, with a special focus on L’École de Choix, a school in Haiti dedicated to improving the lives of children.
Our sustainability program has demonstrated ongoing improvement since its launch in 2007. We are proud of our achievements and continue to strive for more—for our company, our industry and the world. We will keep raising the bar, working to improve on our achievements to date. We’ll also continue to leverage our leading position in the corporate travel industry to encourage more companies to join the global movement and take action to become sustainable companies.