- According to data from China’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the average spending per person for Golden Week 2022 was down about 10% from last year at CNY 681 (approx. US$94.81 or €97.70) compared to CNY 755 (approx. US$105.11 or €108.31) in 2021.
- The decrease was attributed to people forgoing longer haul travel for local travel and activities.
- Rail travel was down by about 36% compared to last year.
- At around CNY 650, this year’s average airfare was about 12% lower than before.
- Outdoor activities, like camping or glamping, were extremely popular, with some packages priced over CNY 2,873 (approx. US$400 or €412) nightly – higher than some 5-star hotels.
- Hiking, biking and ultimate frisbee also ranked as outdoor favorites.