South Africa is currently in the midst of Level 2 of Lockdown with limited inter – and intra – provincial travel permitted. Now more than ever, traveller safety is our greatest concern.
Our Essential Travel page provides you with a step-by-step guide, detailing current protocols and precautions which need to be taken when taking to the skies.
What to take along (travel essentials):
- Face mask
- Boarding pass – Check-in required prior to arrival at the airport
- Identification documents – ID Book, South African Driver’s Licence or Passport. Children must have a Birth Certificate or a certified copy of a Birth Certificate no older than 3 months. (This does not need to be an Unabridged Birth Certificate)
- Travel Permit
- Health Declaration
Travel process & protocols
- OR Tambo International Airport
- Lanseria International Airport
- Cape Town International Airport
- King Shaka International Airport (Durban)
- Port Elizabeth International Airport
- East London Airport
- Kimberley Airport
- Upington International Airport
- George Airport
- Bram Fischer International Airport (Bloemfontein)
- Drop-off and pick-up is ONLY permitted outside the terminal building.
- Temperature scans will be undertaken at the airport terminal entrance.
- Only passengers will be allowed inside the airport terminal.
- Social distancing will be adhered to inside the airport terminal. Passengers are required to remain at least 1.5 meters apart.
- Passengers will be required to self-scan at the security check-in.
- ACSA will ensure effectiveness of the sanitisation process before entering the terminal buildings, which may result in the number of entrances being reduced.
- A limited number of check-in counters will be open and physical distancing rules will apply in these queues.
- All airline lounges are closed to all passengers.
- At boarding gates, boarding will be staggered and prioritised in terms of the number of passengers to board. Sectional boarding will be implemented to avoid unnecessary contact inside the aircraft.
- Loading capacity for all airport buses must be limited to 70%. These buses must be disinfected after off-loading. Drivers, baggage handlers and ground handlers must be fully equipped with appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
Please allow extra time for the safety protocols and additional procedures required at the airport. It is therefore advisable to arrive at the airport between two (2) to two and a half (2½) hours prior to departure.
- Boarding processes will be managed in small groups. Travellers are requested to pay careful attention to boarding announcements.
- All aircraft will be cleaned at night.
- Between flights, aircraft will be sterilised with surface disinfectant sprays.
- Some airlines will implement strategic seating, with the exception of passengers travelling together.
- No catering will be provided on board. Travellers are required to provide their own refreshments (only where necessary).
- Sanitiser will be provided upon boarding.