BCD Travel has earned its third gold rating for its sustainability efforts. The rating places the travel management company in the top 1% of all suppliers assessed by EcoVadis, the leading platform for corporate social responsibility audits for global supply chains.
“Achieving a gold rating from EcoVadis is an impressive accomplishment in any given year; maintaining the highest rating three years in a row puts us among the top suppliers in the world for our commitment to sustainability,” said John Snyder, BCD Travel president and chief executive officer. “It’s an important achievement that reflects our vision and mission as a company.”
BCD earned its first gold in 2016. The company improved its score by 15% in 2017 by solidifying ongoing support from company leaders and Integrating sustainability goals into all global operations and the company’s strategic direction. With its third gold rating, BCD Travel marked an 18% improvement in its overall score since 2016.
Case study: EcoVadis outlines BCD Travel’s path to gold
The EcoVadis methodology examines 21 criteria across four themes of environment; fair labor practices; ethics and fair business practices; and supply chain. These issues are based on international CSR standards, such as the United Nations Global Compact, the International Labour Organization (ILO) conventions, Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) standards, the ISO 26000 standard, and the U.N. Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
Some progress that factored into BCD’s 2018 gold ranking included:
- Improved reporting to align with new GRI Standards
- New global management system for environment, health and safety
- Increase in the number of global locations certified to ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 to 70%
- Improved environmental reporting, including a Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) submission and a carbon verification statement
- Additional global policies for labor practices, human rights and sustainable procurement
Other sustainability recognition
The EcoVadis rating follows other sustainability recognition for BCD in recent years:
- In October, CR Magazine named BCD Travel President and CEO John Snyder as Responsible CEO of the Year for a Private Company. He received the award at 3BL Forum, a leading event for corporate responsibility and sustainability practitioners.
- Also last month, BCD was named Most Admired Travel Management Company for the second year in a row—and the sixth time since 2009—by readers of industry newsletter, The Beat. The recognition reflected results of a poll that asked readers which industry suppliers they most admire for their policies, management style and service to clients.
- The Stevie® Awards named Christian Dahl, BCD’s senior vice president of Strategic Talent Management & Global Human Resources, the 2017 Human Resources Executive of the Year, citing BCD’s multi-year, global initiative to put its people first with the design and implementation of a comprehensive talent management recruitment and retention program.
- Investors in People, a globally recognized workplace ratings firm, in 2017 awarded BCD Travel three-year accreditation in people management for the company’s progress in leading, supporting and managing people well for sustainable results. BCD was the first travel management company to pursue and receive IIP’s independent rating, positioning the TMC as one of the top companies to work for in the corporate travel industry.
Explore the steps BCD Travel took to earn EcoVadis gold, and ask how BCD can help you build a more sustainable corporate travel program.